News

Be warned...spike in crime

by: Lededra Marche, News Editor

Citing a spike in crime in The Bahamas on the heels of the gruesome murder of an American man in Grand Bahama, the United States Embassy in Nassau on Tuesday warned its citizens living in and traveling to the country to be on "heightened alert"  to avoid becoming a victim of crime.

Six days ago, former Mississippi investor Anthony Kyle Welch, was bound and stabbed multiple times about the body in his Albacore Drive home.

" Several assailants entered the home of a resident U.S. citizen living in Freeport, Grand Bahama and brutally murdered him,"  the U. S Embassy release revealed.

He was discovered by his live-in girlfriend shortly after 10:00 p.m. on January 24.

Police have no suspects and remain tightlipped on the matter.

The 47-year-old father of two was wanted in the U.S. on fraud and related charges. His murder is recorded as the islandâ s first for the year.

The release further cited a reported armed robbery of two Americans at Jaws Beach in New Providence on January 25 in which two men with an assault rifle were robbed of their vehicle and all of their belongings.

The victims were not injured, however, the Embassy is advising American residents and tourists in The Bahamas to review their personal security plans.

" Remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security,"  the advisory went on to say.

The U.S. Embassy further noted that armed robbery and violent crime remain major threats facing U.S. citizens in The Bahamas, including in areas frequented by tourists on the capital and the nation's second city.

A similar advisory was issued by the Embassy in November of last year regarding armed robberies.

" In the past eight months, a number of U.S. citizens have fallen victim to armed robbery and two have been murdered,"  the Embassy said, while 'strongly recommending'  its citizens enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

" Enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don't have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, the Embassy further advised.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Emrick Seymour, who is responsible for the Northern Bahamas, declined yesterday to comment on the advisory and noted that the investigation into Welch's murder continues.

Asked whether police have any evidence to suggest there was more than one person involved in the killing.

" We always keep an open mind and of course our investigation can take us anywhere,"  he said.

" So, until such time as we reach a conclusion or a point where we can conclude one way or the other what transpired ... that is what happened, how many people were involved ... I don't want to speculate at this stage." 

In September 2012, the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) charged Welch, who served as chairman and CEO of eHydrogen from January 2007 to August 2010 and ChromoCure from June 2009 to August 2010, with one count of fraud; alternately aiding and abetting fraud; and control person liability.

The SEC alleged he increased the companies' stock prices by using false and misleading promotional material.

Published Thursday, January 30, 2014

Don't Blame the Bahamas posted on: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:17 PM

Title:

If all of these comments are simply based upon the hit done on the career criminal Anthony Welch please rest assured it will not happen to you. Petty crime has always existed in the Bahamas, but this kind of murder was not done by Bahamians. This victim never earned an honest dollar in his life, and finally messed with the wrong people. The tragedy is that he reaped what he sowed here in the Bahamas, and not in Columbia, or Mexico, or Brazil, where no one would have noticed, or cared.

posted on: Friday, February 28, 2014 5:37 PM

Title:

I have a timeshare in Freeport. I always enjoyed my vacations there since 1985! For the last few visits I have noticed a hostility towards Americans! Use to be everyone was so friendly and welcoming! I just don't feel safe there anymore. I feel so sorry for the honest, hardworking people who live there. Many depend on tourism for their livelihood. Come on Bahamians don't let those thugs ruin your country 's reputation. I would love to hear " it's better in the Bahamas " and I don't mean crime. I am taking the advice from the State Department. I won't come back until crime drops AND there is a shift in the attitudes towards visitors! And I can't sell my timeshare cause nobody wants it!

Mary posted on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:27 AM

Title:

My love for Freeport Grand Bahamas, I thought would be unending! After reading and hearing about the crime rate and hearing from friends that visited the Island lately, They came back with the very sad news that they would never go back! What happened to such a beautiful and friendly place? Please try and bring back the days when we could walk anywhere any time of night and day. I never gave it a second thought about my safety as a woman and a American citizen.
Now I have to worry because I am an American that I will be treated bad because of my country! We loved your country and spent thousands and thousands of are hard earned money to enjoy your people and your once wonderful country. How can you fix this!!
You need strong leadership and better planning, if not you will fail and your people will suffer more hardship and crime will become the target for not only tourist but for the citizens of Freeport and all of the Bahamas! It make me so sad because I thought one day of having my ashes in the beautiful waters and letting that be home for me after I leave this earthly world. That was how strong my love for Freeport was. I wanted it to be forever. Please if anyone reads this please for your sake and the sake of your people please get it right and make a change for the better. I am so very sorry for your lost.

robert posted on: Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:38 PM

Title:

Yes, as an occasional resident I firmly advise the Bahamas police force to strengthen their role and more importantly to start locking up these animals, permanently... the Bahamas is a wonderful place , but if it gets worse, I will not be bringing my family or my money to Freeport.
Thugs beware, you might just mess with the wrong (former) marine who would not hesitate to re-arrange your skull.

Kevin posted on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:22 PM

Title:

Bahamas!.....Your safer in Iran!

Comment on this article

Note: Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
The Freeport News reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent.

captcha 80b1b0af67384c79a0697af30b64fbb3
Current Issue
Current Issue

Click here to see, download more print issues

Event Calendar
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
26 27 28 29 30 31

Click here to submit an event.