News

15-year-old shot outside nightclub

by: Staff Writer

A 15-year-old female was left dead early Sunday morning outside a popular night spot in Eight Mile Rock, after residents in the neighboring area said they heard what sounded like gunshots.

Inspt. Terecita Pinder from the police Public Affairs and Communications Office (PACO)  yesterday confirmed that officers were dispatched to a bar in the Kings Subdivision, Eight Mile Rock after receiving information that a female was shot at the establishment, by a man known to police.

The alleged shooter reportedly fled the scene.

According to Pinder, shortly after 3:00 a.m. police received a call that a female was shot at a bar. When officers arrived at the scene they met the deceased lying on the outside of the bar with gunshot wounds to the head.

EMS personnel were called; however, when they arrived and examined the body there were no visible vital signs and they pronounced the female dead.

The victim is believed to be 15- year-old Alexis Smith.

A crowd of onlookers had already gathered, joining those from inside the bar as officers cordoned off the tragic scene with crime scene tape.

Residents living in close proximity to the bar said they heard, “two shots and then screaming.

“When I heard the screaming I just jumped out of bed, dressed and ran outside to see what was going on,” said a female resident of Kings’ Subdivision. “When I looked in front of the bar I saw the young woman laying there and blood was everywhere.”

The woman questioned, “how can something like this happen ... what is a teen doing in a bar at this hour of the morning?”

She was not the only resident of that area concerned about the happening at the popular night club.

“I am tired of calling the police to this same place ... every night, the music is loud, fighting and carrying-on during the weekend, something needs to be done,” said another female.

One resident complained that their 75-year-old mother could get no sleep in the early morning hours as patrons of the bar created a disturbance near her bedroom window.

“Something must be done,” residents agreed.

As police continued their preliminary investigations at the crime scene, parents of the teenage victim arrived and were consoled by a senior officer.

Pinder said that the matter is under active police investigation and they are appealing to the public for anyone with information who can help them in moving the investigation forward to contact the police at telephone numbers 350- 3107/8, 911/919 or call your nearest police station.

This is the second shooting in two weeks at a frequented night spot on the island.

On Sunday, March 9, 27-year-old Rimardo Rolle was shot several times when gunshots were fired in a club on Queens Highway around 2:00 a.m.

Rolle was rushed to the Accident and Emergency trauma section of the Rand Memorial Hospital, where he was listed in serious condition.

Later that fateful Sunday sometime around 9:45 a.m., Rolle succumbed to his injuries.

Two males, 26 and 21 year old, both of Grand Bahama, were taken in custody and were assisting police with their investigations into the shooting incident.

Several days following the shooting, police hauled 21-year-old Javaro Davis before the courts to answer charges of murder in connection with the death of Rolle.

He was remanded to Her Majesty’s Prison in New Providence until a preliminary inquiry into this matter which is set to begin June 3, 2014 at 10:00 a.m.

Davis was represented by attorney Simeon Brown.

Published Monday, March 31, 2014

Jimmy Austin posted on: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:38 AM

Title:

This young lady was in the girls industry twice. why was she release. what kind of communication was there between the parents and the girls industry. If this girl was that much of a problem, why was she release without be under some supervision. what is actually going on at the girls industry anyway? is that place a jail for young bad girls or is it a place where young bad girls are thought to be young educated ladies who eventually can have a meaningful lives. This is a disgrace. this girl had an over age boyfriend and no family member or friends saw the need to report it to the police. Society have fail this young girl. Blame the bar tender all u want but that would not have made a different. I understand that the incident took place on the outside of the bar.

Arron posted on: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:06 AM

Title:

This place is so depressing, Lord give me strength to make it, I'm only 16.

posted on: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:05 PM

Title:

Let's play the blame game, and ask some questions. Let's blame the bar owner for the victim being in his bar/club and not in her bed where she should've been. Why is a 15 yo child, out at that time in the morning?
Why was she dating a man in his 30's?
Why wasn't he reported to police for being in a relationship with a minor?
Why was there an unlicensed firearm in his possession? So I guess we should blame the bar owner for that as well! People get real. We are always placing the blame in the wrong place. We all know if you look old enough you will be allowed in an establishment and served as well. As you are a paying patron. You can't decide that you want to blame ONE bar owner and penalize him when NO ESTABLISHEMENT cards individuals. The rules need to apply to ALL establishments. To the resident complaining about the noise, how about you blame the government for the zoning situation that allows a bar/club to be next to your home. Start from the top and go down. I can guarantee you that if he wanted this young lady dead, the venue wouldn't have made a difference. This could've happened ANYWHERE!!!
The issue is that these CRIMINALS feel as though they have the right to take a persons life because they feel like it. There are now too many "if I can't have you, no one else can" crazies running around the Bahamas. If you look at people the wrong way, they want to kill you. No respect for human life. What we need to figure out is how to prevent this type of situation from happening again. Owners/residents/patrons and the POLICE.

I read a comment underneath an article with a tourist asking if it was safe to visit the island with their family this year. This is what the Bahamas has come to, our beautiful country where tourism is our bread and butter and this is the type of nonsense that's happening. " />

Furious posted on: Monday, April 07, 2014 1:37 PM

Title:

Alright , first of all why was a 15 year old girl at a night club ?!? Night clubs are places for individuals 18 and older . ...not younger. Now it's being said she was a dancer in the club...and i'm not saying its the owners fault , but if everyone does their job correctly , how did she get in ?much less work there ..? Given that she has a past .. and not the best one , she's been to the girls industry school not once but twice , shouldn't she have been on some type of probation or curfew ?
It's just extremely sad , that it was her "boyfriend" who's about twice her age that killed her .....

Mrs Smith-Bhola posted on: Saturday, April 05, 2014 10:27 AM

Title:

Seeing that this is The Bahamas where identification laws are not enforced (speaking of Grand Bahamas only) based on experienced I do not ever recall being asked for I.D. at any venue where liquor is being served. Therefore, the owner establishment owner should not be held accountable. The laws need to be enforced throughout and not apply only for one.

Kyahla posted on: Friday, April 04, 2014 7:18 PM

Title:

they need to blame the bar member for doin such a ridiculous cuse they need to ask them how old she is and they should let the male family explain and charge them for the course If they no he is rape lil children...............

Naé posted on: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 7:39 PM

Title:

You can't blame the bar owner, I don't know of anywhere, club or bar that requires id. She shouldn't have been there, I'm sure she knows the law n knows that that's a place for 18 year olds and older which she is not! She went there, nobody forced her to be there so it's nobody fault that she was there than hers. As for her shooter, he is claimed to be her much older boyfriend. Her father confessed she had a troubled past n that she has been to girls industry TWICE! "Live fast, die young". I'm sorry for there lost and I hope that justice will be served, I couldn't imagine losing my daughter this way. But if I was in her parents shoe I would apologize on behalf of my daughter being there n not looking for someone to blame. The only person to blame is her killer! May her soul r.i.p.

anonymous posted on: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:21 PM

Title:

My condolences goes out to the family of the young lady, I cannot imagine what you are going through... I hope that you find solace during this horrible time in your life.

Shamika posted on: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 4:02 PM

Title:

It really is sad but the bible must be fulfilled. Long gone are the days when we use to be our brothers keeper. My neighbor could have discipline my child if they were doing something wrong but if you try that now parents are ready to fight you for trying to show your child right from wrong. Yes we can blame the government, teachers, friends but the reality is training starts at home. We have children having children . Parents need to instill values, moral and self confidents into our children. My heart goes out to her and her family. I ask the Bahamas come together in prayer and cover our children. All this senseless killing for no reason. In the name of Jesus Satan I bide you from attacking our children. The bible says where 2 or 3 are gather there he is in the midst. Lets stand together Bahamas for the time of God is near.

Atlanta posted on: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 3:59 PM

Title:

wow! shame shame shame first please do not call no place in the Bahamas a
'Ghetto', second what is a fifthteen year old doing in a bar, and third why is a fifthteen year old out of her parents house at 3:00am. shame on the owner and manager of the bar in the Kings Subdivision shame on you for not protecting a child.

Concerned posted on: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 12:54 PM

Title:

A statement was presented that night clubs and liquor stores should ensure photo identification is supplied by patrons and I agree, but this is a two-lane street. If store owners need to tighten up and take a stand then should parents by charged when minors are out unsupervised being a menace to society. Start from the top and work your way down, don't jolt to the middle and figure the story makes sense towards the end.

Kingsley posted on: Monday, March 31, 2014 8:56 PM

Title:

Oh my God first of all this 15 year old girl should have not been there, second what did her parents did in her life, third I feel sorry for her because she is not in heaven

posted on: Monday, March 31, 2014 7:32 PM

Title:

This is so sad, I am crying. We all were a little wild at 15 years of age, not having all of our senses yet. I didn't get smart and responsible until I became a mother at 25. At least I was allowed to live and learn. This poor girl is never getting that chance. Folks get crazy when they drink. By 3am everyone in a bar is drunk out of their mind. Is there a lesson here? Careful, careful. Parents, please drill this tragedy into all your daughters' memories. Maybe it will save one of their lives.

jinglez posted on: Monday, March 31, 2014 3:15 PM

Title:

My gosh its a bar the same place you would go even to get a water if needed...You should expect to hear noise a 15 year old was just murdered by a big grown man shot 2 in the head and you worrying about noise. Why is there still unlicensed fire arms on the street ? why was she there and not home? how does her parents feel at this time. Knowing my Freeport officers they should already have the guy in custody sorry for the lost but at least know that justice would be serve.

Comment on this article

Note: Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
The Freeport News reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent.

captcha 1827e24ec5b34438bc3262594b7ddfe9
Current Issue
Current Issue

Click here to see, download more print issues

Event Calendar
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
26 27 28 29 30 31

Click here to submit an event.